Monday, August 15, 2011

Jay Hai, Jay Hai, Jai Hai Jaya Jaya Jaya Jaya Hai


Jay Hai, Jay Hai, Jai Hai Jaya Jaya Jaya Jaya Hai

This is the ending of the National Anthem. When I hear this line, I still get the memory of the feeling I used to have as a child. Jana Gana Mana was sung everyday after the last period of class. After the song was over the class was automatically dispersed - everyone would say "Thank you miss" or "Thank you sir" and go home. To me, these words were almost like, "On you marks, Get set, go" - a series of words recited at the starting of running races; upon hearing this the athletes would dash off from their starting point. As soon as these lines were uttered, a group of us friends would dash off similarly from our desks screaming the words "Thank you miss" as we ran off from our classes to our destination (cycle-rishas or buses). I still get that feeling of an ending and starting as I hear those lines ....  In a way it can also be related to another ending and starting - the ending of slavery and the starting of freedom.. Happy Independence Day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment