Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dignity of work


Here is a dialogue from Act 1 Scene 1 of Julius Caesar (Shakespear)

FLAVIUS
Thou art a cobbler, art thou?



COBBLER
Truly, sir, all that I live by is with the awl. I meddle with no tradesman’s matters nor women’s matters, but withal I am indeed, sir, a surgeon to old shoes. When they are in great danger, I recover them. As proper men as ever trod upon neat’s leather have gone upon my handiwork. 

The cobbler in the scene seems to be proud of his work. "Surgeon to old shoes" - that's how he describes his profession. We can imagine how carefully he may mend broken shoes and become satisfied once it is repaired. I wonder if real surgeons take their work as seriously. I wonder if at least some of them would have to say, truthfully, "we are cobblers to hearts".

What attitude do I have towards my profession? What attitude do I have for others of a different profession? What attitude do I have for the mundane tasks of my profession?

I am to treat ourselves and myself (and the respective professions) with dignity and respect. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" [1].  I should treat others the way I would expect them to treat me. [2] 


 
[1] 1 Corinthians 12:21
[2] Golden Rule , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule


No comments:

Post a Comment